Friday, January 20, 2012

Because of a Horse

Because of a Horse

Just some things I was thinking about while hauling frozen water buckets the other day:

Because of a horse, I know how to use a hammer to dislodge snowballs.

Because of a horse I’ve lost toenails and broken fingers and toes.

Because of a horse, Weather.com has more hits on my computer than any other site. It’s also bookmarked into my “favorites.”

Because of a horse I’ve discovered that I have better balance than I ever imagined.

Because of a horse I know when it’s best to hold on and when it’s best to let go.

Because of a horse I’m creative – I’ve played many games of “horse tetris” in which the objective is to move horse A out of stall B and into stall C without upsetting horses D and E, which are blocking horse A from stall C. And so forth.

Because of a horse I’m a problem solver, and rise to challenges instead of backing away with them. Because of a horse I know what 1,200 pounds of power feels like, but I also know that I can influence that power with my body, mind, and attitude.

Because of a horse I’m physically strong but remain aware of the most subtle movements of my body.

Because of a horse I understand that less is always more.

Because of a horse I know that anger is contagious. So is love.

Because of a horse I have learned self-control and patience. Endless, endless patience.

Because of a horse I’ve known what it means to fly. Both intentionally and non-intentionally.

Because of a horse I’m probably the only 25 year-old female in this town who owns a sledgehammer, hacksaw, and multiple pocket knives.

Because of a horse I’ve gotten over my aversion to blood and gore. And, because of a horse, I have better first-aid skills (both human and equine) than most.

Because of a horse I can wire an electric fence, operate a drill, and identify local poisonous plants. I can also spot lameness from across the pasture and sense when something is “not quite right,” even when there are no outward signs that anything is amiss.

Because of a horse I have gained a better understanding of angles, mass, and motion than any college course could ever provide me.

Because of a horse I know what it means to sacrifice, but I also know what it means to be truly loved.

Because of a horse I have learned pride, but just as quickly I have learned humility.

Because of a horse I have discovered beauty in the world, and sometimes even find that in myself.

Because of a horse I am a stronger, more confident individual than I ever dreamed I would become. All this, because of a horse.

1 comment:

  1. Hi from Italy =)
    I'm a show jumping lady rider
    really nice blog!

    keep in touch
    www.iconadeironchi.com
    www.facebook.com/IconaDeiRonchi

    ReplyDelete